Sunday, June 13, 2010

Acrylic Stages: Mandrill




This shows one of my in-class demos from under-painting to a near finish. I am using acrylic paints here and you can see that I start out applying it in a monochromatic fashion. I feel like I am "drawing" with the paint at the earliest stage. I establish my mid-tones and darkest darks with several thin layers of acrylic. The next stage shows how I begin to show the form by adding some lights and some color with a more opaque paint application. I really sneak up on things here as the painting progresses, the paint gets thicker and the color gets more saturated. I love the versatility of acrylics. They can be used transparently like watercolor or more opaquely like thick oils. They are ideal for glazing techniques due to the quick drying times.