Friday, July 30, 2010

An Evolving Palette



I have mentioned in earlier posts that I will occasionally work back into older paintings. Sometimes these changes are subtle and at other times quite extensive. A major change within my work over the past few years has been a dramatic shift in my color palette. This change has not been forced or premeditated. It has just happened naturally...I don't know why. I used to see bright colors every where and I usually amped them up even more when I painted. Now I really see most color as a gray tone that leans toward a particular hue. I find it more interesting and real. This is especially evident with the way I handle yellows, blues, and greens. I will also change the composition of some paintings by adding or eliminating elements. Notice how the barn and fieldstone wall disappeared in the above 30" x 40" oil painting. Notice how I toned down some of the color while getting more abstract with the meadow in the foreground.