Saturday, September 11, 2010

Oxford Gallery Exhibition




I was invited to exhibit in a group show at the Oxford Gallery in Rochester. The title of the show is Waterway West: A Salute to the Erie Canal. I had done paintings of the Erie Canal in the past but I wanted to create some new images for this show. I biked and walked along the canal to gather some new reference material. I completed all three paintings within about a four or five week time frame. This was very much like an illustration assignment...I had a theme and a deadline for the work to be delivered. The top piece is an oil on canvas (24" x 30"). The subject is an old lock near Kendrick Drive, in Rochester. The middle ( 12 x 16) and bottom (13 x 20) images were completed with gouache...remember?...I'm enjoying the gouache medium again. The Exhibit opened today and runs through October 16.